The Ultraformer III
Ultraformer III is the latest addition to our range of skin tightening devices, with the Skin Specialist Centre being the pioneer in New Zealand with this latest technology. It is a revolutionary, non-surgical and non-invasive face-lifting technology, with no patient downtime, using the power of gentle, yet powerful, micro-focused ultrasound waves to lift not just the skin, but also the deep muscle layer underneath, which was previously reached by surgical face-lifts. Ultraformer III also performs tightening and lifting of the skin on the neck, under the chin and jawline, the brow and around the eyes. It also treats fine lines and wrinkles, and wrinkling and sagging on the décolletage and body (areas which can be targeted include the chest, arms, armpits, abdomen, flanks, thighs and lower legs).
Ultraformer III works by stimulating your body’s natural regenerative process by using highly sophisticated micro-focused ultrasound energy to rejuvenate the three critical levels of your skin’s infrastructure by delivering energy levels into precise depths. The technology with Ultraformer III’s exact focusing ensures that the correct depth is always targeted and heated to the specific temperature required to induce “thermal injury” causing the collagen to contract and, with time, producing new and stronger collagen.
The first ultrasound device of this kind on the market was Ulthera, but in Dr McKerrow’s opinion this is now second generation as the Ultraformer III is much more effective, cheaper for the patient and can treat many more areas of the body.
A good candidate for Ultraformer III is someone with skin that has relaxed to the point of looking, and often feeling, less firm. A lowered brow line or sagging skin on the eyelids, for instance, is often the first sign of “maturing skin”. While the Ultraformer III is not a replacement for surgery, there are many people who want some lifting but are not ready for surgery either mentally, financially or logistically.
Will I Feel Pain From The Ultraformer III during the Treatment?
Yes, the discomfort experience will depend on the individual’s pain threshold and the settings required to treat the area of concern. Topical anaesthetic cream can be applied, but will be of minimal value as the energy is delivered deep in the skin. What you will experience during the treatment is actually low amounts of high intensity, focused ultrasound energy delivered into precise skin depths, without damaging the skin. There can be some discomfort while the energy is being delivered, but it is temporary and a positive signal that the collagen-building process has been initiated.
How Should I Manage my Skin Following Ultraformer III Treatment?
- Most people can return to their regular activities immediately following the treatment.
- Wash your skin with water (avoid hot water).
- You should avoid exposing your skin to extremes of heat and cold, and you should protect your skin with a sunscreen with an SPF50.
- Normal make-up regime can be followed immediately.
- Please do not have any other form of facial treatment or therapy for at least one month. Botox injectable, fillers and superficial laser treatments can be performed one month following Ultraformer III.
What are the Possible Side-Effects from Ultraformer III?
Ultraformer III treatment is an entirely non-invasive procedure, with minimal downtime. Immediately following treatment, your skin should feel tighter, smoother and more youthful. Over time, you may notice additional tightening. The most frequently reported incidents are as follows on or around the treated area and all have resolved within days to weeks of treatment. They are as below:
- Bruising: mild bruising with is caused by damage to soft tissue blood vessels may occur occasionally, and typically resolves within 1 – 3 weeks of treatment.
- Lump: a mild lump, if it occurs, is caused by strong energy and typically resolves within two weeks of treatment.
- Numbness: of a particular area will resolve in a matter of days or weeks at most. Where a sensory nerve has become inflamed, you may experience some temporary numbness. Where a motor nerve has become inflamed, you may experience some temporary local muscle weakness.
- Pain: momentary discomfort may be experienced during the procedure while the ultrasound energy is being delivered.
- Redness: the treated area may exhibit redness immediately following treatment, and this typically resolves within a few hours of treatment.
- Swelling: the treated area may exhibit oedema (swelling), following treatment, resolving within a week.
Tenderness: tenderness to the touch may be experienced from the procedure and typically resolves within two weeks of treatment.
What Can the Patient Expect After the Procedure?
You can expect to experience two phases of Ultraformer III results:
1. Initially, you will have an immediate tightening of your skin in the treated area, as the heat from the Ultraformer III contracts the network of collagen fibres.
2. The more obvious and long-term results will become evident over time. Ultraformer III benefits will peak between 6 – 9 months after treatment. The new collagen will be stronger and its structure more “youthful” than previously. As a consequence of this action, your skin will be stronger and better supported, helping to reverse the effects of ageing on your skin. A regular programme of treatment every 6 – 12 months will help to maintain your results and subsequent treatment is likely to give you some additional improvement.